No. 11 Clayton State women drop 5-4 stunner at UNC Pembroke
PEMBROKE, N.C. – April 15, 2012 – The Clayton State Laker women's tennis team closed out its Peach Belt Conference slate on Sunday by dropping a 5-4 stunner at UNC Pembroke.
The defeat drops Clayton State, ranked 11th in the nation in Division II, to 7-12 overall and 6-6 in the Peach Belt. UNC Pembroke improves to 12-12 overall and 3-9 in the Peach Belt with its first victory over Clayton State since 2006.
The Lakers won once in doubles and three times in singles. Marie Cercelletti and Charlotte Fabricius posted an 8-3 victory over UNC Pembroke's Leigh-Anne McAfee and Shelby Bickel at No. 2 doubles. Cercelletti (No. 1), Fabricius (No. 2) and Jessica Budd (No. 4) each recorded victories in singles as the score was tied 4-4 heading into the match at No. 5 singles to decide the outcome.
Clayton State's Alyze' Pagal won the first set 6-3 and had multiple match points in the second set against UNC Pembroke's Madeline DiNunzio. However, DiNunzio won the second set in a tiebreak 7-6 and then prevailed 6-4 in the third set.
Clayton State will compete this week in the 2012 Peach Belt Conference Tournament, which starts on Thursday at Lander.
UNC PEMBROKE 5, CLAYTON STATE 4
1. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) d. Mia Winterbottom 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Leigh-Anne McAfee (UNCP) d. Martina Dedaj 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
3. Charlotte Fabricius (CLS) d. Hannah Herlocker 6-4, 7-5
4. Jessica Budd (CLS) d. Shelby Bickel 6-3, 6-3
5. Madeline DiNunzio (UNCP) d. Alyze' Pagal 3-6, 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
6. Monica Espitia (UNCP) won by default
1. Winterbottom/Herlocker (UNCP) d. Dedaj/Budd 8-3
2. Cercelletti/Fabricius (CLS) d. McAfee/Bickel 8-3
3. DiNunzio/Espitia (UNCP) won by default